April 28, 2017

Man, 90, dies in fire at Homepine House

Please follow and like us:

kentonline1A 90-year-old resident of Homepine House died in a fire at Homepine House, in Folkestone, on Saturday night.

Emergency services were called after a fire broke out on the fifth floor in the bedroom of the resident, who has not been named.

The website Kent Online reported the fire here and quoted police saying:

“A man, aged in his 90s, was pronounced dead at the scene.

“His next of kin have been informed. The incident is not being treated as suspicious and a report will duly be prepared for the coroner.”

Homepine House, which is managed by FirstPort, was to have had a £70,000 fire upgrade system in 2013, but it was opposed by the residents.

The upgrade did eventually go ahead, with smoke alarms fitted linked to the central control system, a resident says.

It is suggested that the alarm system did work in this incident.

The court ruling on FirstPort concerning the fire at Gibson Court, in Hinchley Wood, Surrey, where a pensioner, Irene Cockerton, died on September 30 2011, is expected this week.